Dogs Helped in 2016 by The Chopper Fund

Lassie – a 10 year old Sheltie, female, who came in with a “buddy” – a 10 year old Corgi named AJ.  Their owned died and the family could not take on 2 dogs.  They were a closely bonded pair who had lived together their entire lives.   We noticed that Lassie was straining, had very dark colored urine.  Our vet was able to feel lumps in bladder, and an x-ray showed a bladder completely full of large stones.  She was taken to surgery, where they removed over 30 bladder stones – some as big as 5cm.  She also needed a significant dental cleaning, which was performed at the same time.  This was clearly a condition that had been untreated for a long time, and her relief was apparent to everyone.  Her demeanor changed significantly and she became an affectionate, happy dog nearly overnight.  She quickly became a staff/volunteer favorite, and she and AJ were adopted to a loving family just a week after surgery.

Lassie Scout

Scout – an APBT/Lab mix, male, about 3 years old.  Scout was surrendered by his owner because they were moving and could not take him with them.  They reported that he loved to go camping and hiking, and they had traveled with him throughout the south (Louisiana, Texas).  Because of this history, we decided to test Scout for heartworm, which is a disease that is endemic in those states but rarely seen here in the Pacific NW.  His test showed positive, and we decided to treat him for the disease – a first for HSSW.  In addition, Scout required surgery for an eye condition called entropion – basically, his eyelids turned inward and could cause blindness.  We performed two separate surgeries on Scout’s eyes, which is not uncommon.  Then, after his eye condition was treated we had to address the heartworm.  This treatment requires that Scout be kept very calm, because the medication kills off worms that travel through his bloodstream.  If he is allowed to get over-excited, the worms can dislodge in the heart or lungs, causing significant danger.  Scout was put into foster care, where they successfully managed his activity level and allowed him to recover from the infection.  After about 2 months, he was able to go up for adoption, and found a really great family to take him home.

Brutus – a pit bull mix, male, about 3 years old.  Brutus was found running around in the woods, a family who was out camping said he came up to their campsite searching for food.  They brought him to CRVS because he was clearly injured.  He had a microchip, but we were unable to make contact with his family.  His jaw was fractured, and he could not open his mouth, it was obviously painful and he was drooling blood.  X-rays showed that he had a transverse fracture of the right mandible, and it required inter-dental split and wiring.  Basically, they had to glue a splint over two teeth, that would allow the fracture to heal properly and align his jaw correctly.  He went into foster care for about a month, where he healed well and appeared to have no further issues.  He gained weight (he was thin because he could not eat properly prior to the repair), and he blossomed in the foster home – so much that they ended up adopting him.

Brutus Cooper

Cooper – a 10 month old male Rottie who was brought in as a stray by Animal Control. He had a large mass on his left eye, which was causing a corneal ulcer and needed to be removed before adoption.  Cooper was very thin and dirty, and it was obvious that he had been on his own for some time.  He was very affectionate and gentle, and scored well on his behavior evaluations.  Luckily, it was determined to be a benign dermoid mass, though quite unusual as it had hair growing out of it.  After a successful surgical removal, he healed very well and was moved to the adoption floor.  Due to his personality and age, he was adopted by a great family on the same day he was moved into Green Pod.  They were thankful we had been able to remove the mass, and dedicated to making sure he received any follow up care.


Gimli – an 8 year old Lhasa Apso, male, who came in as a stray and was not redeemed.  Giimli had an obvious problem with his left front leg – it turned inward and he walked with a limp.  It did not appear to be painful, and x-rays revealed an old injury that had healed improperly.  However, it did not seem to cause him problems and did not require surgical repair.  While we were monitoring his leg issue, we noticed that he had blood in his urine.  Further x-rays showed a number of bladder stones that needed to be removed.  Upon examination, it was noted that Gimli had a fairly significant heart murmur, and we were not comfortable performing surgery in-house.  VCA Battleground agreed to treat him, and he went in for surgery to remove a large number of stones.  After a successful surgery, Gimli was made available for adoption, and found a loving family shortly afterward.